Who said "Power concedes nothing without a demand"?
Attendees at past sessions said:
- "Passionate, experienced organizers share real world examples of effective organizing, philosophies, practices and opportunities to work in small groups on real, pressing issues." - Lisa Haufschild, 39th Ward Organizer
- "Tom and Jonathan really came through! Their presentation on ‘Chicago 101’ made people mad about how Chicago works, and it made people curious, but most of all it got people engaged. This is exactly the kind of education every citizen needs in order to make meaningful change in our city. One of my favorite moments of the night was when one particularly engaged audience member literally threw her hands up and said, 'Why doesn't anybody teach us this stuff?' Well, Tom and Jonathan are teaching this stuff - and I will gladly welcome them back to continue to inform, engage, and empower our community." - Gabe Piemonte, Candidate 5th Ward Alderman
- “Your ‘Chicago 101’ training was great last night!! It was the boost I needed. It reminded me of what I really care about and where I come from in terms of activism and my roots. In our activism we are working with a lot of people who have never engaged so conversation is tough because they aren’t aware of the history, there is no context. We often get caught up in nonsense and focus is lost as we try to get the newly engaged to act. Being with seasoned pros was so nice. I gained some new perspective and knowledge as well as reaffirmation of my values and goals. It was energizing and gave me some clarity, just what I needed for the burnout I’ve been feeling. I’m really looking forward to the next two sessions!” - Meaghan McAteer, Co-founder Indivisible Brookfield
- " I recently attended the Power Institute workshop on T.I.F. I was amazed how informative the class was. Tom spoke truth to power and I could see his passion for his work. I was inspired to get involved with civics (boots on the ground) LOL. I will be taking my first steps toward working with communities in our great city of Chicago! I highly recommend this workshop and others that are offered through the Power Institute." - P.H. - Hyde Park
- "Amazing resource for Chicago residents. An opportunity to learn how those in power keep robbing the everyday people!" - Gaylon Alcaraz - Chicago Tribune endorsed candidate, Cook County Commissioner, 4th District, 2018
- "Worth every penny! I have heard of these political operatives and cannot believe that I got to speak to them in such an intimate environment. I also loved the workshop because it was cathartic and was grounded in the reality that we still have a democracy. We still matter. We can beat the Machine - but we have to be ready for a fight. I can fight. I've fought my whole life. But I've been thinking about whether it's worth fighting And this training reminded that it was." - Priscilla Orta
Jonathan and Tom conduct "Community Organizing 101" on the South Side from the Summer of 2018.